The Department of Pathology evolved from the foundation laboratory unit with which the hospital started operations. It is now a multi-disciplinary department consisting of four sub-specialties: Anatomic pathology, Chemical pathology, Medical microbiology, Haematology and Blood transfusion services. The department has a crop of brilliant staff (consisting of Pathologists, Medical Lab. Scientists, Medical Lab. Technicians and Laboratory Attendants including the Administrative staff) well trained to provide relevant professional services to facilitate patient management as well as engage in research and have collaborations within and outside Nigeria
- Biochemical analysis and generation of qualitative and accurate results to aid clinical management including diagnosis, monitoring and prognostication of clinical disorders.
- Running of Metabolic Clinic.
- Attending to consults and co-managing of biochemical and endocrinological disorders on the wards.
- Training of rotating residents from Family Medicine and Internal Medicine Departments.
- Research Collaboration with other departments.
- Routine and emergency analyses of biochemical test requests.
- Running of Metabolic Clinic which involves management of biochemical disorders such as metabolic syndrome, obesity and dyselectrolytaemia.
Available Facilities/ Equipment:
- C4000 Chemistry Autoanalyzer.
- 1000 Endocrine and Biomarkers Autoanalyzer.
- Erga water purifier and distiller.
- Direct Ion-Selective Electrode (ISE) for electrolyte analysis
- Semi-automated spectrophotometers.
- POCT devices like Laura for microalbumin. Selexon for cardiac markers and clover for glycated haemoglobin.
- Dr. Akinremi: 2002-2012
- Dr. Olutunde: 2013-2016
- Dr. Onwah: 2017-2019
- Basic diagnostic services in bacteriology, parasitology, mycology and andrology
- Consultant Pathologist: Dr. NWADIKE V U (M.Sc,, MBCHB., FMCPath.)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist: Ogiogwa I. J. (MSc, FMLSCN)
Anatomic Pathology Unit
- Routine histopathology/reporting
- Cytopathology services
- Autopsy services.
- Consultant: Dr. Mrs. Akinremi Titilola O. (MBCHB, FMCPath.)
- Consultant Pathologist: Dr. OLUTUNDE A O (MBBS, FMCpath)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist: Awoyemi S. I. (B.MLS)
Chemical Pathology Unit
- Liver function tests
- Fasting Lipid profile
- Electrolytes, urea and creatinine
- Diabetic profile
- Hormonal assay
- Tumour marker profiles
- Assistant Director Medical Laboratory Scientist: BAKARE R A (FMLSCN)
- Assistant Director Medical Laboratory Scientist: Mr. AWE A (FMLSCN)
- Assistant Director Medical Laboratory Scientist: AKINWANDE K S (MSc, FMLSCN)
Haematology and Blood transfusion Unit
- Management of haematological conditions in the hospital (outpatient and inpatient)
- Haematological laboratory services (routine and research)
- Blood transfusion services
- Administration of the IHVN laboratories (ART project) of the Centre
- Participation in Global interlaboratory EQA challenge (Oneworld Accuracy).
- Consultant Pathologist: Dr. Mrs. ONWAH A. L. (MBBS, FMCPath)
- Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist: Udo U. A. (FMLSCN)