The Department of Dental Services was established by the hospital management and opened to the public on 2nd April 2001. It was commissioned alongside other newly created departments by the then Minister of State for Health Dr. (Mrs.) Amina Ndalolo on 31st July 2001. The department started from a 2 room apartment but is now located in a 22 room complex with Library, Seminar Room and Mini Operating Theatre.
The Department of Dental Services offers diagnostic, curative, restorative and preventive dental services including surgical interventions, and in addition, provides basic preventive dental education and communication to the people of Ogun state and its environs.
The department commenced the training of Youth Corp members in 2004. Corp members who are Dental Surgeons, Dental Technologists and Dental Therapists have had opportunity to do the mandatory one year service in the department up to date. Students of various dental health technology schools including Dental Surgery Technicians, Dental Technologists and Dental Therapists in-training have also done their SIWES posting and attachment in the department.
Recently the department established an outreach Centre in the Primary health care Centre of FMCA in Joga-Orile, Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Paediatric dentistry
- Community Dentistry/Dental Public Health
- Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine
- 4 Functional Dental Chairs with 4 compressors
- 1 Functional Autoclave
- 2 Suction machines
- 4 Ultrasonic scalers
- 3 X-ray machines
- Three functioning dental units (chairs), three dental X-Ray units, instruments for minor surgical and dental procedures.
- A dental laboratory unit for the fabrication of simple removable prostheses.
- Emergency Services are also available at all times (Mondays to Sundays). Services offered by the department covers the adult and children emergency treatment rooms, the male, female medical, surgical and orthopaedic wards as well as children ward.
Dental Services Department, 4- Wing Building, FMC, Abeokuta
Administrative Unit No: 08095946211
- T. O. Motayo (Medical Director/Chief Consultant Family Dentist) 2001 – 2003
- A. A. Ogunjobi (pioneer HOD) – (2003 – 2005)
- S. T. Ibiyemi – (2005 – 2006)
- Adeniyi – (2007 – 2010)
- S.A. Ogunmuyiwa – (2011 – 2014)
- A. Abu – (2014 – 2017)
- S. T. Ibiyemi (present HOD) – (June 2017 till date)