The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is one of the foundational departments in the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, and the first to commence residency training. The department has 64 Senior staff and 3 Junior staff.
The department is organized along 4 sub-specialty units. Each unit is manned by consultant staff with resident doctors working with them as follow:
- Materno-Fetal Medicine (MFM)
- Gynaecologic Oncology (Gynae Oncol)
- Reproductive Endocrinology, Fertility Regulation & Infertility (REFRI)
- Fertility regulation (family planning services).
- Treatment of infertility and other gynaecological problems.
- Maternity care including ANC, intrapartum and postnatal care.
- Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV/ AIDS (PMTCT).
- Routine (Elective) and emergency gynaecological operations (Surgery)
Head of Department: Dr. Awonuga David Olalekan (MBBS, MSc (Reproductive Biology), FWACS, FMCOG)